Today we will bury my Uncle. He passed away on Wednesday of last week in a very peaceful manner. Although I have done things all week with my family, including preparing a memorial video, today will be the hardest part for me. Burial is the final good bye. I will have to say goodbye today to someone that I love very much, was a huge part of my growing up, and will be so sadly missed by my entire family.
My Uncle will be best remembered for his love of children, his tremendous attention to detail and for his gentle spirit. I didn't live with him - I don't know that if that gentle spirit was a 24/7 attribute. Most of us don't have 24/7 attributes. He loved my nieces and nephews. He and my Aunt took them camping to their trailer even after my cousins were long grown up and out of the house. He just loved being around the kids. The kids loved that they could play with him while all of the adults were talking and he wouldn't mind one bit. They were always on his lap, trying to get closer to him because they knew that he was fun to be around. Family gatherings will not be the same without him.
The last time I saw my Uncle was the Sunday before he died. He was lying in a hospital bed looking pretty frail, but he had a smile on his face when my sister and I came in. He didn't recognize us, but he smiled. By the time we left him that day, he knew who we were were and as we kissed him to leave he said "I love you" to both of us. I was praying that would not be the last time I saw him, but God knew that he couldn't suffer anymore on this earth.
My Uncle was a great man. He will be sadly missed by our entire family. He will be greatly missed by his immediate family - My Aunt, to whom he was with for more than 39 years, and my two cousins who have lost their father. When I think about that, I can't help but think about losing my Dad and how that would feel - and the tears pour out for them.
Today will be hard for me. I do not want to say goodbye, but in this life, we say goodbye to people. We bury people we love and our heart aches for those we lose sooner than we think we should. It's no wonder to me that Christ referred to the Holy Spirit as the Comforter. During times like these, my Abba knew that I would need a Comforter. He knows that I need the Holy Spirit to comfort me, calm me and allow me to breathe during the sadness and broken heartedness. He is always faithful and good to me like that.
So, goodbyes will be said to our beloved Uncle. Goodbye, Uncle Bob. We will miss you.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Any idea if he made a decision for Christ? I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye to people we love.
Post a Comment