I have watched in amazement the events the have unfolded over the last couple of days. I am glad that the campaigning is finally over. I feel like my mail box will go back to its normal size and contents instead of the incredible amount of recycled material that has been in it daily for the last couple of months. I am excited to see what God has in store for us over the next several years. I write the word "excited" and I really do mean that.
If I were being honest, I would have to say that I have been disheartened by the response of my sisters and brothers in Christ that have taken the seeminly bitter road regarding the election of our President. I understand that there was great disappointment when John McCain was not elected. What I don't understand is the attitude and feeling that the world has come to an end and the great Almighty God is no longer on the throne. I have heard and read comments such as "now Jesus will have to come sooner", "I'm moving to Canada", "buy guns", and some racially disparaging comments that I cannot type. Disheartening, discouraging. (As an aside, has anyone even taken a good look at Canada's policies?? If you are discouraged by the results of this election, you most certainly would not be happy living in Canada.)
As Christians, it is most definitely our highest responsibility to vote in a way that reflects the teachings of Christ and the word of God. As Christians, it is also our responsibility to respect and pray for those who are elected officials, whether or not we personally have voted for them. God is sovereign. I believe that. (I have a hard time reconciling that with events that happen, but I believe He is sovereign). He knew before the foundation of the world how this election would turn out. He's not surprised by the results. He's not changed His timeline or His preordained plans because of this election. He is unchangeable and unmoveable. Those are the characteristics and qualities of the God I serve. I know He has a plan, and I am thankful that my hope is in Him.
It is more important, at this time, that the body of Christ take the high road, not the road of despair. My responsibility now is to pray that the President elect will be surrounded by advisers who give him wise counsel. It is my responsibility to pray that my President elect is moved by the Holy Spirit to make right decisions. It is my responsibility to respect the position that he holds. The Bible is clear about that. I am proud to be an American. I am proud to live in a land that is free to elect the President. I am even prouder to be a daughter of THE King.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wrote a post very similar to this one just last night! I agree with you 100% and have been discouraged by the negative (even hateful) responses of some of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Is it an emotional issue? Yes. But the focus cannot remain on the emotions. We have to be looking forward, continuing to busy ourselves with the things God has called us to do. Are we to take a stand for what's right? Absolutely! Romans 13 is crystal clear on what our duties are in government: to stand for what's right, while at the same time submitting to the authority GOD has placed over us. It's time for Christians to snap out of it and move forward! GREAT post. Thank you, Sabrina!
I was getting so depressed yesterday reading so many comments about the Lord still being in control, but...
It truly did sound like everyone thought the world had ended. But, the Lord picked me up - and then I went to church where the pastor preached a message similar to what you preached, er, wrote here! God IS good. My life IS good. My home is in HEAVEN - not here. I do the work He's given me to do with my head held high!
Thanks, Sabrina. It's so neat to see how God is giving the same message to His children (you, Jenn, me, JulieMom, my pastor, etc.) What a mighty God we serve!
Post a Comment