It is a dreary November morning. I am sitting in my favorite chair, curled up with my favorite blanket, drinking my favorite drink (coffee of course) and watching the rain drizzle down on a tree in my front yard. This particularly tree has not lost all of its leaves. In fact, it's lost hardly any of its leaves, and it is a vibrantly colored tree - lots of yellows and reds. The entire world around it looks gray, but this tree stands out as a somewhat bright spot in a dreary landscape.
One of my dear friends talks frequently about taking in "God" moments. Moments when I know that God is sending me an "I love you and care about you". This tree, believe it or not, is my God moment today, and after the week I've had, I needed this moment. I am soaking in this moment as I type this post.
This week I had a "rise above it" opportunity. I don't think that I have to do much explaining of what that means. It's an opportunity that I believe I have been given to show that I have good character and can rise above the circumstances. I was accused this week of something pretty serious. It wasn't criminal, but it was an accusation that spoke to my character. It spoke to who I was as a person, and it bothered me that someone would make the accusation. The people who were told the accusation assured me that they knew it wasn't true - that it was just an accusation. One person told me "your character will speak for itself". My character will speak for itself. For a brief moment, I did feel some relief. As time has passed, though, I have given that comment some tremendous thought. What does my character say about me? To me, the bottom line question is, in the face of accusations, does my character rise above the accusations? Can I stand blameless? What do my words and actions say about me?
In the spirit of honesty, I have to say that I was worried about that comment. I know that there are things that I have said and done that have not proven to be my finest moments. I have not always done the right thing. I'm just saying that I am human and make mistakes and frankly, I am a sinner. By the precious blood of Christ, I am a sinner saved by grace, but not so deep down, a sinner.
The Scriptures say to let your communication (how you interact with people, your speech, your actions) be done with grace. Ephesians 4:29 says Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. I know that I have violated Ephesians 4:29 on a regular basis. I refer to it as my lack of a "filter". Truth be told, it is sinful. It is sin. I sometimes don't take this Scripture seriously.
In the last several weeks, I know that I have spewed things out of my mouth that were better left unsaid. I know that it was wrong to say those things. I said them anyways. I know that what I was accused of I did not do. It was just that - an accusation. However, what a great "rise above it" opportunity for me to be reminded that whatever comes out of my mouth should be something that builds people up - not tears them down. It should be coupled with grace. It should be to the benefit of those who listen.
As I reflect on that and seek God's forgiveness, I am staring at my brilliantly colored tree - my "God" tree. For me, on this dreary November morning, this moment is about knowing that I have sinned against God with my words, and knowing that He loves me and forgives me. I am a child of the King, my Abba Father, and I have my tree.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment