December 30th (barely -since it's 4 a.m.). It's hard to believe that 2008 is coming to a close and 2009 is on the horizon. The older I get, the quicker the years seem to fly by. This year, in particular, seems to have come and gone very quickly. 2008 has been a year filled with lots of memories, both good and bad. There are some things that have made 2008 a unique year, and for those things, I will always remember 2008.
I will always remember Easter morning, 2008. My sister and I were driving to Pennsylvania - unexpectedly. My brother was very sick with a blood infection. By all accounts of those reporting back to us, he was going to be fine. As I relayed my brother's vitals back to good friends, who happen to be trained ICU nurses, I knew that his condition was much more serious than the reports back to us. So, early on Easter morning, my sister and I drove to a hospital in Allentown. It's not the ride that I will remember most. It is my Dad's reaction to our arrival at the hospital that is indelible on my brain. As we walked up to the entrance of the hospital, my Dad met my sister and me - with open arms, and as we embraced, he began to cry and uttered the words, "he's gonna make it". My brother's condition was bad, but after 24 hours of being in the hospital and close to death, God performed an Easter miracle in our family. It is a moment, in 2008, that I will never forget.
I will always remember October 27, 2008. It was the day that we said goodbye to our dear Uncle Bob, after his courageous battle with cancer. I will always remember how I felt having to say goodbye to him in the little church in North Farmington. He was a kind and loving part of our family. His seat at the Holiday and birthday celebration tables will be vacant, and he will be missed terribly. It is a day, in 2008, that I will never forget.
I will remember watching, in amazement, our Country elect its first black President. It is a part of our history. I will always remember two things about this election. First, I will always remember how historical of an event it was. Second, and most sadly, I will always remember the attitudes of Christians around me who had the opportunity to praise God through the event but instead chose to spread a message of fear and discouragement. God has not called us to fear. He has called us to perfection and to be a light in the dark world. It was an opportunity for us, as Christians, to show that our faith is not of this world, not in man, but in God. I will always remember the election of 2008 for those reasons.
I will remember my friends who went through cancer treatments in 2008 with grace and beauty. I will remember their struggle, their triumphs and the moments that took their breath away - both good and bad. They came through their treatments with strength - something I'm not sure I could do, but they did. I will remember those moments with them, from 2008.
I will remember the friendships that I have nurtured, and remember, in 2009, those that I have neglected.
Most of all, in 2008, I will remember how faithful my God and Abba Father was to me. I struggled in my relationship with Him throughout 2008. I struggled to understand how He works, who He is (really) and where I fit into His kingdom. I will remember the times that I felt hopelessly distant from Him and how He reached down into my valley to draw me close to Him. I will remember the times that I wanted to do my own thing and His gentle leading and grace to show me that His ways are always better....even for a control freak like me. I will remember the times when I was unfaithful, unworthy and unwise that I was never unloved by God.
I do not make resolutions - mainly because I know I can't or won't keep them. I do, however, think about how the coming year can be different for me. 2008 was a good year, but I think I would be remiss to not think that 2009 could, and should be better.
May the reflections of 2008 bring you to a place that you can say you will always remember the faithfulness of God - no matter if 2008 brought you joy or pain. His mercies and faithfulness are new every morning. May the thoughts of 2009 bring one of hope and renewal. Happy New Year to all.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment