For those of you who know me very well, you might laugh at the title of this blog. Simon Peter is my precious miniature schnauzer's name - so, you might think that this blog is about my dog. Do not fear - it is not an entire blog about my dog - although he (my dog) is worth an entire blog's worth of words. He's adorable.
I have been somewhat silent on this blog over the last two months. During these past few months, I have joined a group of Facebook friends in a study of the life of Simon Peter the Apostle of Christ. A friend that I have reconnected with through Facebook lives on the West Coast. She is someone who I grew up, and although she did not live in my hometown, we were close. Whenever she came to visit, we had a great time. She and I have reconnected and she was in the process of studying the life of Peter. I joined her in this study, and frankly, I have learned so much. What I've been studying about Peter is his sanctification process - the process he went through to become more like Christ. This study has been so real and personal to me that blogging about the application of it in my life seemed wrong. Not that I didn't want to share what I was learning, but this study has touched me deeply - personally and privately.
There are so many interesting things I could share about my study of Peter. One of the most interesting, to me, is that, in Scripture, Peter is the one disciple that seems called out to me. Jesus called him out to do amazing things. Peter was the first disciple Jesus called. Peter was there for Jesus' first miracles - in fact, Peter's mother was one of Christ's first healings (Matt. 8). Peter was the one who walked on water after seeing Jesus walk on water. Peter is the one disciple who recognized Jesus as the "Christ, the son of the Living God". He recognized Jesus as the Messiah - first and foremost among the disciples. Peter is the one about whom Jesus said, "on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it". Peter was on the Mount of the Transfiguration with Jesus and witnessed, in person, Jesus' transformation. Miracle after miracle - Peter witnesses, is a part of, participates in.....it was Peter.
One of the most important lessons Peter learned was about forgiveness. Peter asks Jesus in Matthew 18 - "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?". We all know Jesus' response - not 7 times but 70 times 7. Often as children of the King, we go back to this passage when we feel hurt or slighted by others in our lives. If we are abused by others, it is not uncommon for counsel to be that we are to forgive the abuser and it is based on this exchange between Peter and Jesus. In my study of Peter, though, this passage stands out to me because it becomes so real to Peter later on. Not because Peter is wronged and has to forgive but because Peter learns the power of forgiveness granted by the King, by God Almighty, by Jesus. It's not many chapters later that Jesus is taken from the Garden to be brought before the leaders and crowd and is headed for the Cross. During that time, the tale is well known - Peter vehemently and admantly denies Christ 3 times. When the cock crows, the Scriptures tell us that Peter wept. The Scriptures use the word "bitterly" (Matt. 26:74) - Peter wept bitterly. Growing up I had always thought that Peter wept because he realized what a terrible thing he had done in denying the King. However, as I have been doing this study, I believe wholeheartedly that Peter wept because he understood, at that very moment, the true meaning of Christ's message of forgiveness and the powerful way that forgiveness is granted from the King. I believe Peter was sorrowful for what he had done and was weeping because of that, but I believe that it is at this point that Peter's sanctification journey begins. He understands the mighty powerful forgiveness that God has for mankind. Peter lived the miracles and yet, when it counted most, denied his Leader, his God, his Friend - denied, at that very moment, that the miracles happened and he was a part of it. He spoke the words of denial three times - heard the rooster crow and understood, at that very moment, the meaning of that conversation about forgiveness. It wasn't a different disciple who had that conversation, and it very well could have been. God is amazing. He knew Peter would need to hear that message the most and orchestrated the discussion with Peter - not James, John, Andrew - but Peter. Peter would be the one disciple who needed to grasp God's forgiveness the most, and it was orchestrated that way in Scriptures.
There are so many other amazing things I have learned through this study - and I'm only part way done. The journey to sanctification - to holiness - is not paved like the yellow brick road. It's not smooth. It is rough and sometimes an uphill climb. But there is always a point of change. - the turning point. For me, in this study, I can see that this was Peter's point of change. This was the start of Peter's tremendous journey to sanctification. It was his turning point. What has been so personal and real to me about this study is being able to identify where or when my turning point is for my journey to sanctification. It is my heart's desire to be more like Christ. There is always a turning point. Our responsibility is identifying that point and beginning the journey one step at a time.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment