Last Sunday, the title of Pastor Kirk's message was "I'll Be Home for Christmas". I thought, when I saw that in the bulletin, that the message was going to be a hokey Christmas message about making a happy home at Christmas-time. After all, this is one of the most hokey Christmas songs out there, right? Ok - maybe you don't share that opinion. That's okay.
As he started his message, he went to the book of Romans. He then started a convicting message about grace and truth. Now, this isn't the first time that I've heard a message about grace and truth. I may even have heard it presented with this same twist, but this message got me in the heart. Pastor Kirk's key point - in order for grace to exist, something must die....Romans 5:17 - "For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ". He then proceeded to preach about our own ability to be graceful. In order for me to exhibit grace in a time when I don't want to be graceful, then something in me must die. It might be that my expectations have to die. Sometimes I expect people to act a certain way, and when they don't, it is hard for me to be graceful. Perhaps it's my expectation that must die. Sometimes it is my pride that must die. Sometimes it is just my own ambitions. Whatever it is that stands in my way to be graceful, that is what must die.
The other side of grace is truth. Biblically, truth should be coupled with grace. Too often as a Christian, I am harsh in the name of "truth". I don't believe we need to mince words - what's true is true. However, truth needs to be paired with grace. Just because it is the truth does not give me the right nor the power nor authority to harshly proclaim it. I don't know about you, but sometimes I like to tell others the truth...and secretly it is because I am jealous or want to feel superior to them. It's not about helping them see Christ or be more like Christ. It's about me. That's not truth...not Biblical truth.
Sometimes I am least graceful with my family, which was the crux of Pastor Kirk's sermon. While I am celebrating the holidays, in the frenzy of what has to be done, I forget that grace should be extended to those within my immediate reach - family members. The way to be graceful with them is to let my expectations go and expect nothing in return for anything I give. I want to be graceful and loving to my family because they are my family.
Grace and truth. Coupled together in harmony. So easy to say...so difficult to live.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment