Saturday, June 28, 2008

Anger When God Shows Compassion

There has been something that has bothered me since I heard a sermon preached last Sunday. The Pastor has been doing a study on basic Bible truths. Last week was a discussion about "What is Truth?". During the sermon he began to illustrate that we, as a society, no longer tell people that what they do is wrong. We are wishy-washy about things and dance around the right vs. wrong issue. The illustration he used was the 17 girls that are now pregnant after a pact they made to get pregnant and raise their children together. From this he asked the question "why doesn't someone tell these girls that what they did was immoral and wrong?". He proceeded to talk about how tricky it is to be in a position when young girls who are pregnant out of wedlock either want a big church wedding or the church is asked if their facility could be used for a baby shower. It didn't bother me that he preached about telling the girls that what they did was wrong. What bothered me that there was no mention of the boys involved. What about the boys/men that were involved in this or are involved in the immorality? Premarital sex is a two person sin - you have to have 2 people to perform it. So, why, in our Christian circles do we come down so hard on the girls and seemingly have a double standard for the boys? Is it because girls show outwardly the sin that was committed in private? It bothered me that there was so much condemnation for the girls, but where was the condemnation for the boys involved?

This also brought me to an interesting discussion with my friend. If we say, as a church, that we stand against allowing a pregnant girl get married in the church or have a baby shower, the question I pose is "how long do we have to hold the girl/woman accountable for her sin?" When does our forgiveness and mercy step in? Do we have to wait the entire 9 months because that's when she won't show the outward manifestation of the sin anymore? It's a quandary for me. I know for some it's simple - the church can't appear to condone sin. Ok. I get that - but what are you doing about the boy? Have you "condoned" the sin of the boy? What are the consequences for the boys involved? If the couple repents of their sin as soon as the act is complete, I understand there are consequences, but how long do we wait to enact forgiveness and mercy and grace.....Maybe it's too early on a Saturday morning, but it just bothered me that there was such a harsh condemnation of the girls, but no equal condemnation of the boys. And, what about forgiveness in this situation?

Jonah was in a quandary too. He went to Ninevah after being thrown up onto the shore. Chapter 3-4 shows an interesting tale of his reactions. He preached to the people of Ninevah, who were responsive, repented and God had tremendous compassion on them. That actually made Jonah mad. He knew of the sin of Ninevah and He wanted them destroyed like God said He would do. When they repented, God had great compassion on them and didn't do what He planned on doing. Jonah basically went off and pouted about this. God asks him in Jonah 4:4, "Have you any right to be angry?". In Jonah's whining he says, "I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity", so, basically, why did you even send me here?

The tie between the two - am I like Jonah? When I am aware of people's sin, do I react like Jonah? Jonah was happy that the Ninevites were going to get "what was coming to them". He was happy God said He would destroy them. Our God is bigger than that. He had compassion on them and didn't destroy them. I'm sure Jonah felt like God let them get away with it. Is that how I feel when someone receives the glorious grace and mercy of God? I know I've been like Jonah. When I was younger and my brother would do something I knew he'd get into trouble for, I would just wait. Wait for my dad to catch him doing something bad because I knew he was going to get it. Sometimes he did (and it still made me sad) and sometimes he didn't (which made me mad, too). I wanted him to get the punishment I thought he deserved. Isn't that what younger sisters are for? Revenge plotting? It's part of our human nature, I believe.

I've been reluctant to understand how God embraces those who sin back into the fold. I've been reluctant to believe that God treats me like that when I've sinned. I have no right to be angry when God shows His love and mercy to His other children. I've been like Jonah. Jonah was so angry he told God, "I'm angry enough to die". Jonah taught me some powerful lessons. I don't always understand God's grace and mercy, but that doesn't matter. I'm commanded to follow in His steps. I'm commanded, as a Christian, to deal with people on a graceful and merciful level. It's against my nature. Exactly. God wants me to trudge the path of righteousness - which includes forgiving and not being angry when others find themselves in a place of immorality or sin - not angry but merciful, gracious, loving. It's not up to me to dole out consequences or even to assess what consequences should be doled out. It's my responsibility, as a daughter of the King, to show grace and mercy to those who need it most. It's also my privilege, as a daughter of the King, to accept His grace, mercy and forgiveness as fine pieces of gold - given to me in sacrifice. It's awesome to me that this is the God I serve. This is God that formed me and made me and has travelled in my paths with me. I'm humbled by my God on a daily basis.

I can only end this with the prayer I have for the girls who are in this terrible situation - "Abba Father, reign down Your love, mercy and grace on those who are suffering and going to suffer the consequences of this decision. Give them the wisdom to understand that You are a God of grace and forgiveness and to learn to walk in Your ways. Forgive me for my judging and angry spirit to those who find themselves in sin. Forgive me for the sins that I have done against You. Thank you that You are my Father, my King, my Deliverer".

3 comments:

JulieMom said...

I totally agree with you, and I have been like Jonah as well and it makes me sick.

When we react in a super-negative way (and I'm not saying we should condone sin) to someone's promiscuity, how are we to know that we aren't influencing the way they will feel about their child?

Most people in that situation know what they did was wrong, and when they get pregnant are immediately repentant.

So let's get to know these women as individuals, love them and their babies, support and help them along the way.

We think being judgmental and ranting against a sin long since over makes us look holy, but it just makes us look mean.

Victoria said...

The key word is "repentance." You're right - if they are repentant and want to make it right, then who are we to stand in their way? If we are overly-harsh, what would make them want to come back? However, what about the passage of not fellowshipping with fornicators? Hard pill to swallow - I still am trying to swallow it.

And, it has always bothered me that, in many circles, the guy pays no consequences. But, God is Lord of all and Judge of all. He is the final authority. That is what I trust in.

Good thoughts, Sabrina!

Colette said...

hey Sabrina, loved this post. I only thought of two words while reading: Repentance and Restoration. For those who have been forgiven much...they forgive easily because they understand that restoration is what God is always after!!