I've decided to skip around in my Bible reading a little. I was in the book of Ezra. When I got to the part about taking inventory, I kind of checked out a little. I kept reading and re-reading the same passage. I decided shortly after reading about 50 pots of gold about 100 times that it might be time to take a detour. I found myself quickly in the book of Jonah.
I have written from time to time that I often feel like I can relate to David. He seems just like the melancholy kind of person that I can be. He wandered away from the path of God for a brief time, experienced the amazing grace of God and then lived his life through poetry. We won't get into the poetry part, but I do feel like I can relate to David. Another character that I can sort of relate to is Jonah. Jonah is a bit of a whiner. At times, I can swim with some of the best whiners out there. Jonah was told to go and do something. He, instead, went the opposite direction. Isn't that how we can be sometimes? God says, "Please go this way. It's what I want for you". We say, "Great, but I think the flowers down this path are so much prettier"...and off we go on an "adventure". That was Jonah. Off on an adventure, and then, found himself in the belly of the whale. Then, to Jonah chapter 2 I come. This is Jonah, in the belly of the whale, praying to God. It's an interesting passage. I come to verse 8 which reads "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs". (for you KJV readers, I believe the passage says this, "They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy".) Jonah prays this right before he is basically vomited from the belly of the fish. This verse made me stop and think for a moment. It caught my attention - what does this mean? What does it mean to cling to worthless idols and forfeit the grace that could be mine?
Worthless idols? In other words, clinging to things that I put before God; trusting things other than God. If I put my trust and cling to something that is not God, then I essentially forfeit the grace that God truly has for me. I had to think about this way - When I don't trust God in my life the way I should and cling to my own way, then I forfeit the grace He gives. I choose to give up on His grace. He never gives up on me, but at times, I choose to go the other way and forfeit the grace He has for me on the path that He has chosen for me. How awesome of a thought is that? Have you ever thought about that? When you choose to put your trust in your own ambitions and strengths, then you forfeit the grace that God can bestow. His mercy is everlasting and His grace is sufficient, but we have to tap into His excellent grace.
Whew. What a thought. Life is all about choices. Choices can lead us on the path of grace....and sometimes our choices lead us to forfeit the grace. That's where Jonah was at in the belly of the whale. God's grace was sufficient for him while he was there, but Jonah didn't have to be there. He made a choice. He lifted his voice to God in prayer in the belly of the whale and felt the salvation of the Lord. Sobering thought for me....I need to stop clinging to my worthless idols - my security that is placed in anything but God - and choose to cling to the grace and mercy of God. Truly amazing to live and be a daughter of the King.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment