Saturday, September 20, 2008

God Speaking?

I have no idea who actually reads this blog. I write it because it is the thoughts, prayers and words that I have on my heart. I write it because I think that it helps sharpen me to be a better daughter of Christ. Today, you may think I've lost my mind. Bear with me.


I've been reading the book of Hebrews. Hebrews seems like a pretty heavy book to me. A lot of information about how we should be walking. Hebrews 13:2 says not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Have you ever thought about that verse? Have you ever thought about the meaning of that? Whenever I read this verse, I am brought back to my childhood. When I was little, I was in foster care, so oftentimes I was taken to and from doctor's appointments by the drivers hired by Social Services. I usually was driven by one of two people - a man and a woman. This particular summer day I was being taken to the eye doctor by the man. The doctor's office was on a four lane road. As we were exiting the doctor's parking lot, the man (who was driving) had a heart attack, pushed his foot onto the gas pedal and drove straight across all 4 lanes of traffic. Our car was hit a number of times, and when it was all over, the man, who had a gash on his head, fell over onto me in the passenger seat. I was 10. I freaked out, so I ran out of the car and directly into the oncoming traffic. Just as I was about 1/2 way across a woman with long hair in a ponytail came to me to stop me and safely helped me across the street. When we got across the street, I turned around and she was nowhere to be seen. She vanished as quickly as she appeared. She safely led me across the traffic to help me not get hit by any cars, and then she vanished. When I asked people if they saw her, nobody on the side of the road saw her or knew what I was talking about. To this day, I believe that she was an angel. Maybe you think at this point I need to take a visit to the local psychiatric ward. I truly believe that she was exactly what Hebrews 13:2 is talking about - she was a stranger to me, but quite possibly an angel sent to protect me. I know that it sounds crazy, but for anyone else who has experienced something like this, you can't help but believe that God actually sent an angel in a human form to help, protect, or whatever was needed at the time. Whenever I think about that car accident, I think about that woman. Maybe she came out of a car and then drove away? Maybe she was a figment of my imagination? There is no explanation that is reasonable to me except that she was definitely sent by God to protect me at that very moment.


The whole situation makes me think about God's communication to us now. He doesn't speak to us like He did to Moses in the burning bush. Sometimes I wish He would. Wouldn't it be great to sit down, drink Chai (because you know I think God drinks chai and not coffee), and just discuss things with Him face to face? In my deepest humanity, I long for that face to face communication with God. I long to hear His voice speak to me. Speak words to me. I know He speaks to me through Scripture. Sometimes that's not good enough for me. I long for more. I long for that face to face, person to person, personal contact and to hear God speak. I would love to hear Him audibly say "I Love You" to me. Wouldn't you?


Just when I get to the place that I am praying for God to speak audibly to me (and I know now you think I'm crazy for sure), I am taken back to the words of Ronnie Freeman - a fantastic Christian singer - and his song called "God Speaking". I thought I'd share these words on my blog because maybe there is someone out there crazy like me who longs to hear God audibly speak. Think about the imagine of these words. I "steal" them from Ronnie Freeman's incredible song -
Have you ever heard a love song that set your spirit free? Have you ever watched a sunrise and felt you could not breathe? What if it's Him? What if it's God speaking? Have you ever cried a tear that You could not explain? Have you ever met a stranger who already knew your name? What if it's Him? What if it's God speaking? Who knows how He'll get ahold of us? Get our attention to prove He is enough. He'll do, and He'll use whatever He wants to. To tell us, I Love You.

Have you ever lost a loved one who you thought should still be here? Do you know what it feels like to be tangled up in fear? What if He's somehow involved? What if He's speaking through it all? Who knows how He'll get ahold of us? Get our attention to prove he is enough. He'll do and He'll use whatever He wants to To tell us, I love you. His ways are higher. His ways are better, and though sometimes strange, what could be stranger than God in a manger? Who knows how He'll get ahold of us? Get our attention to prove He is enough. Who knows how He'll get ahold of you? Get your attention to prove he is enough. He'll do and He'll use whatever He wants to, To tell us I love you God is speaking, I love you.


That's how God speaks to us. I can accept that. I can accept that He speaks through the sunrise that takes my breath away. I can accept that He speaks through it all - even if it's not audible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am a faithful reader of your blog old friend! And I don't think your story is crazy in the least, even though it gave me chills (the good kind!). God speaks to us primarily through His written word, but also through His awesome creation, through music, through angels unaware. We just need to be ready to hear.