Monday, July 28, 2008

The Recurring Theme of Friendship

One of the best things about blogging is that you get into the habit of reading other people's blogs. My dad once told me that when he read my blog it felt he was going through my underwear drawer. My dad has a great way of painting (ha ha - because he is a painter) a picture with his words. I got what he meant. Reading other people's blogs is getting to see the intimate details of their struggles and the amazing triumphs of their victories. There aren't many blogs that I read. Right now, only 3 others. They are always a blessing to me and get me thinking about some amazing things.

Recently, it seems that the recurring theme in these blogs is the subject of friendship. One wrote about friendship in marriage. While I cannot relate to maintaining friendship in marriage, there were many things I could relate to. Another friend wrote about friendship with God. It was a blessing to me and something that I think about all the time.

One of the most interesting passages to me in the book of Job is Job 29:4. This verse is dropped right in the middle of Job's recitation of the many blessings, and mostly the ones that he no longer had. Right in the middle of his discourse, he says, "Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house". I find it so interesting that Job used the phrase "intimate friendship" when talking about his relationship with God. The reason I find that interesting is that I'm not sure that I've ever thought about my relationship with God as an intimate friendship.

My limitations as a human being only allow me to think of God and my relationship with Him in the context of my humanity. By that, I mean I can only think of God in the context of what I know. I know human friendship. I have some incredible friends. Some of very strong and encouraging Christian women who increasingly bless me with their wisdom. Some of my friends are very spiritual, but unsaved. They are my friends for lots of reasons, but the truth of the matter is that they sharpen me. They force me to think about why I believe what I believe - and to stand up for that even if they completely disagree with me. Some of my friends have fallen into the pitfalls of life and have chosen to be on a path that is difficult. God walks with them on their path, but it is a difficult one. I consider all of these people my friends, but I have only a handful of people with whom I would say I have an intimate friendship, and that may boil down to 2 really.

This morning I have thought about the reasons that I have that type of friendship with these people. First, I can be real with them. When my friend who calls me Dancing Queen (ha ha) asks me how I am, I know she truly is asking how I am. I then can be okay with saying to her "I've had a sucky day; I'm in a sucky mood and I feel 10,000 miles away from God". Her response to me will never be spiritual glibness. It will always be, "yuck. what can I do for you?" or "I know. My day sucked too". Truthful, honest, real. If she has hurt my feelings, I feel completely comfortable with saying it. Saying to her "you've hurt my feelings". She always has said that she never meant to hurt my feelings, and I believe her. She knows my deepest secrets - and to her credit still wants to have coffee with me. Trust me, that's a big deal. The best part is that I know those things about her - and take her as she is - sadness, happiness, sorrow, joy, trials, triumphs. Intimate friendship.

That's what Job was talking about with God. Intimate friendship like that. Having a friendship with God like our friendships with our best girlfriends. It's not sacrilegious. It's not unholy. It's what He longs for and wants from us. I know why we teach about the tabernacle and the importance of the holiness of the tabernacle - where God dwells. I know why we're taught about approaching the throne of God with piety and holiness. I understand the theological part of that. I'm no dummy. I think it's an important thing to teach. Can we balance that with addressing the meaning of friendship with God? I don't know about other people, but as a child I felt like I could only talk to God in what I called "holy talk". Starting all my prayers with "Dear Heavenly Father" or "Dear Almighty and most holy God" (Ok - last one for emphasis more than reality) - Yes, God is Holy. Yes, we need to approach Him knowing His power - but let's balance that. Sometimes I start my prayers now with "Oh my I've had a rough day. Can we talk?". It's exactly how I would talk to a friend. It's how I'm comfortable - It gives me a context of my friendship with God in my humanity. He is my friend. He is someone I can have an intimate friendship with. I can tell Him my disappointments, my hurts, my victories, my challenges. It's a little bit of a stretch since He already knows these things, but He wants me to tell Him about them. David said over and over again the Psalms that he cried out to the Lord; that he poured out his heart to God. David had an intimate friendship with God - and it had ups and downs, just like our friendships.

Thank you to my dear blogger friends, and I do consider them friends, for your insights on friendship. It has been a blessing to me. You are a blessing to me. Thank you for your words, Jenn. You are always right on. I am blessed to be walking this path with you, and am encouraged by your words. Keep it up.

In the meantime, I am excited about my friendship with God. I am thankful He accepts me for all my quirkiness, my ups and downs and still continues and will always continue to walk this journey with me.

No comments: