Thursday, July 31, 2008

An Act of God?

It has been a good, but busy week. I've been continued to be blessed by my book I'm reading and am excited about the things that I know God is doing in my heart. It's not always easy trying to be raw and real in the presence of the living God. Sometimes that means breaking down every barrier that humanly makes me feel comfortable. Sometimes it means crossing the comfort line and laying myself down at His feet. Laying it all down. The fellowship with God has been sweet, and I feel like a part of me has opened up for Him to work in me.

Work has been overwhelming. We are in the midst of submitting our 2009 budget, and that usually means long hours and many, many meetings. In between one of my litany of meetings yesterday, I spoke something out loud that is not uncommon in the workplace. I said, "I wish I could take a day off and soon". Ha. From my lips to God's ears. Funny story unfolding.

Several months ago, I was diagnosed with the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. The doctor could not treat it at the time because I have an allergy to the drug that they use to treat it. So, on my last visit a week ago, the doctor put me on a different drug therapy to heal it. Six days into it. Seemed like it was going fine. Today, I woke up with a red and swollen face, hives on both my arms, dizziness and a terrible headache. Put ice packs on my face to bring down the swelling so I didn't look like the oompa loompa girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, donned some great artistry called make up, and went to work. Yep. Didn't get the hint. 2 hours into work I developed severe chest pain. I literally thought that I was having a heart attack. Right in the middle of a meeting my face turned bright red (look out Charlie) and I thought I was going to pass out. So, I gained a small amount of wisdom, and I called my doctor's office (not the one who prescribed the meds). My normal doctor is on vacation, so another doctor in his practice saw me right away. After an EKG and a battery of other tests, the doctor told me what I probably already knew - these were side effects of the medication I was prescribed. He gave me two orders (1) stop taking the medication (and he's the one who went to Medical school and makes the big bucks!) and (2) take a day off and recuperate. Coincidence? I don't think so. Maybe I'm a little crazy, but, hey, I got the day off I exasperatingly cried out for the day before.

Now, I know that may sound like a stretch, but I took it as a gift. I could have done without the outward side effects. Frankly, I was really a sight. I can't believe I actually went to work in the first place. Again, overachieving maniac. Yep. That's me.

In hindsight, perhaps driving myself to the doctor's office wasn't the wisest choice. In my quest to be independent, I forget that at times, I need people. I need to allow myself to be vulnerable and open up to help from others.

So, relax and recuperate will be on the agenda tomorrow (and well, part of today). Do I think this is a divine act of God? You bet I do.

1 comment:

Aunt Bossy said...

Does our Heavenly Father know us overachieving-don't-have-time-to-take-care-of-ourselves types, or what? Right there with you, sister. I fell down the stairs 2 1/2 years ago and fractured my right arm. I knew before this happened that I needed to back out of some ministries, specifically playing the piano and Sign Language interpreting. I just hadn't done it yet, though I intended to.

Guess what you can't do with one arm in a sling?

I'm so glad you saw God's hand in your situation and can praise Him for it. For every time we do, we learn to trust Him a little more. Amazing how He uses His Word, the words of others, and even such things as a trip down the stairs and an Oompa-Loompa complextion to teach us more about Himself.