Yesterday was Mother's Day. My Mom is a special person to me. Not just because she is my Mom, but also because she is a friend to me. It wasn't always like that. We had our rough moments during my high school and college years. I thought I knew everything. Of course I did. After all, I had 4 years of college and 2 years of Masters under my belt. Book knowledge. Doesn't that make me wise? I have learned over the last 10 years of my life that I know nothing and my Mom knows a lot.
My Mom isn't my birth mother. She adopted me when I was 32 years old. Yep - the ripe old age of 32. I came to live with her when I was 9 years old. She was my foster mom and was only supposed to be that for 18 months. It was a struggle for me. My birth mother, Amy, was still in the picture (and still is). I struggled with loving two people who were supposed to be my Mother. On one hand, I had Amy, the mother who gave me the gift of life. She could have taken the easy road. She was 17 years old when she got pregnant with me. She was a drug and alcohol addict and earned her money the not so nice way (if you know what I mean....). She had a hard life and made some horrible choices, but nevertheless made a great choice when she chose to give me the gift of life. On the other hand, I had Sheila, the woman who would be the one I could count on; the one who was everything a Mom should be. She is, by no means, perfect. We have our moments still, but she raised me, loved me, and has become for me one of my best friends. We are so much alike. At times, it's impossible for me to believe that. We say the same phrases; talk alike; share a love of shopping and shoes; are both Princesses (probably why we couldn't live together - you definitely can't have 2 princesses under one roof - bad for the King). We sometimes think alike....it's scary. I have gotten some lovely characteristics from my Mom. She is gracious and hospitable. She would feed anyone who came to her house. I'm the same way. If there is a waif out there, you know that I will be setting a place for them, just like my Mom would. I love to cook and bake - just like Mama.
She didn't birth me, but she did give me the gift of life. Amy birthed me into this world, but my Mom, Sheila, gave me the life that I have. Amy is still a very small part of my life. She calls from time to time (usually on her birthday or at Mother's Day) but I know that she does what she can. My Mom, though, is a gift from God. I recognize that and thank Him for that. He knew what I needed and that I would need two people to help me along in life - one to birth me, and one to give me life. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful. Moms are such a gift.
Post a Comment