Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Dog, the Natural Born Drama King


All these posts and I have not said too much about my dog, Simon. Now, I know that some of you who read my blog have children. God has blessed you with beautiful, cute or handsomely grown up children to brag about. For me, God has blessed me with my little piece of heaven on earth, a miniature schnauzer named Simon Peter. Yep - Simon Peter. He is the rock on which my house is built.

Simon is no ordinary dog (of course not). He is a saint of a dog. Although if you ask my parents, who watched him while I was on vacation in Mexico, they would tell you that he is a spoiled dog that thinks he is a prince. And why wouldn't he be? I have raised him. I am a princess, therefore he must be a tremendously spoiled prince. My friends think I'm absolutely nuts because I treat my dog like he is a human. No, seriously, I do. He has a closet in my house that has actual clothes for him. He has summer and winter clothes. He has t-shirts and hats. My justification to others for this (at least what I tell them) is that Simon is a schnauzer and has to be shaved, so he gets cold in the winter and dirty in the summer. Ha. I hope they aren't really buying that line. I buy him clothes because I think he looks cute. I dress him up for Christmas and take a picture of him every year. I've uploaded his most recent Christmas picture. This is him in his Carhart. Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm not one of those nuts that actually sends it out on a Christmas card (except to a few family and friends who know me VERY well). Ok. It's true. I am a nut. I'm blogging about my dog. I think it does mean I need professional help. Where is my therapist now??

Any hoo. I also have another dog. She's actually my roommate's dog. Her name is Abbie. She's a black lab some kind of mutt mix. (My schnauzer, of course, is a pure breed).....Abbie's name is actually a Hebrew form of the name Abbie because she wanted her to be called "from God's heart". That's what Abbie's name means. Funny that she gave that meaning to a dog, but then again, did you read the first part of my blog.

Abbie & Simon get along very well. Abbie is about 80 lbs. and Simon is about 20 but they love to romp and play. Abbie is also a digger. Big digger head dug a hole in my garden last year. At the end of the year, I installed Invisible Fence - Ha, big digger head....try to dig now.....So, Abbie started digging holes, big ones, in the middle of the yard. The other day, my Simon was running through the yard and fell into one of Abbie's magnificently dug holes. He couldn't get out of the hole and was crying. I heard it and ran outside. There he was, my little Simon, hanging from the edge of a gigantic hole that Abbie had dug. His little ears were drooped and his little tail was drooped...My poor baby. I picked him up out of the hole, brought him inside and fed him some Frosty Paws (dog ice cream, of course). He felt a little better but now he's limping around and when I say to him in my motherly voice, "Simey, does your paw hurt?" He lifts his paw to me with this very pitiful look as if to say, "I can't go on another day". All I can say is that I can't believe I have raised my dog to be the same drama Queen that I am. What are the odds?

1 comment:

Colette said...

Prince Simon Peter is adorable!